Thursday, June 3, 2010

They all bring a tear to my eye....

Sports today brought tears to my eyes on three different fronts:

1.  Former UCLA Basketball Coach John Wooden (99) is gravely ill.  Those words alone bring tears to my eyes.  What a classy individual.  His leadership development has been studied by so many individuals.  What a treasure.  He so loved his wife, Nell, who has gone on already.  I'm sure she's waiting for their reunion.  We can't afford to lose another Great American Hero, but we can't be so selfish as to not allow him to see Nell again.  Definitely one of my own personal heroes.

2.  I've been to a lot of different championship events in junior high level, high school level and college level.  In NCAA series, it has been the Volleyball Final Four and Baseball College World Series - both actually were held in Omaha when I attended.  Watched a special presentation on the CWS tonight.  It is so true that anyone who has gone, is NEVER the same.  There is something special about Rosenblatt, Omaha, and the neighborhood surrounding the stadium.  The people are special, the players excited about being there.  It IS an experience never to forget. Made me want to run out and find a way to go again this year!  It is THE BEST Championship in NCAA...brought tears to my eyes just thinking how much fun we had.

3.  Tears to not only my eyes, but to their eyes today...Umpire Jim Joyce and MLB Detroit Tigers Pitcher Armando Galarrago.  Who classy was it the way they both handled the Perfect Game - Not Quite Perfect Game scenario.  Joyce owned up to his error.  He said I messed it up.  Galarrago said we need to go on.  It's over.  In my heart it was perfect.  When Galarrago presented the lineup to Joyce in the game today, Joyce teared up...I teared up when I heard about it.  He commended Galarrago about his classy sportsmanship and they way he handled it.  I commend them both.  THANK YOU for showing everyone how to handle something disappointing in a classy manner!

No comments: