Monday, June 28, 2010

I LOVE to....

I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy. I LOVE to officiate volleyball. Really...It's true. I'm refereeing summer volleyball tomorrow night again and it's just summer league - nothing too earth-shattering. I enjoy seeing the coaches I have officiated for during the past years. I like to visit with them; see how they think their season will go; see how their summer workouts have progressed. We're very early in the mix of things. There is a lot to be decided.

Players practice to get better in the off season . As odd as it may seem officials do the same thing! I re-read my rule books. I look at the rule changes for the new season. I try to talk with coaches and fans and let them know what will be different. I try to challenge myself with interpretations - try to think how I would answer the question, "What was that call for?" in a quick and concise way.

I just LOVE this sport! I know people think officials are crazy or are terribly egotistical. I don't think so. I know you're gonna yell at me because you either don't understand the rule or you didn't see it the way I did. That's okay. I don't see everything the way you see it either, BUT I don't yell back at you.

I just ask that fans become better versed in rules. Ask someone what the hand signals mean. Ask about the intricacies of the sport. We're always glad to explain.

The picture is of my officiating last fall at the Illinois State Tournament. Here's the critique - hands too high. Bring your arms down, Julie! Something to remember to work on for summer 2010 prior to the fall season.

It's a never ending process of learning. Time to do some reading on the NFHS website on rules!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: