Saturday, February 20, 2010

Did Lysacek "channel" former UCLA Coach John Wooden?


I admit it...I'm a schmuck for watching men's figure skating.  My mom LOVED to ice skate...I, however, did not possess the ankles to handle it. I looked something like Bambi on the ice...it's okay.  I've learned to deal with it.

Maybe that's why I was overwhelmed with the grace and athleticism of Men's Gold Medalist Evan Lysacek.  (A shout out to the Illinois guy!)  It can't be easy to skate that well at the height of 6'2"!  Those are some long limbs to swing in spins...

I was most impressed with his statements after the short program and the following day. He stated he was just trying to do the best HE could...he wasn't watching to be better than Plushenko or better than anyone else, his goal was to set a personal best.  UCLA Coach John Wooden often pushed his players to be the best they could be personally.  To paraphrase his statements (I hope I'm accurate on this), he asked his players to play the best game they possibly could, ask themselves if they had done every thing possible to play the best game, and eliminate all the mistakes they could.  He said practice is where champions are made.  "Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

Wasn't that what Evan was saying?  He was saying I did my best.  I worked hard every day.  I put everything into it I could.

On top of that, when the Russian Silver Medalist was critical of the performance Lysacek presented, Evan didn't respond back with any negative comments.  He was very cordial and kind and said, he too didn't like losing and no doubt that clouded some comments Plushenko made.  In his interview with Bob Costas, he emphasized that Plushenko had shook his hand and congratulated him after the announcement.  He never once claimed he was "disrespecting" him.  Evan knew he had given the best he had to offer and the judges agreed!

Congratulations for your class, Evan.  I hope you get a lot of endorsement jobs!  I could think of a few companies that need that character right now, but that's another blog!

No comments: